Think of the present moment on how the digital world has created disruption and challenged your values.
A good 15 years ago parents wouldn’t think twice of putting their daughter on a stranger’s car but look at what’s happened now with Uber?
The mother or father is the one booking a stranger to go and pick up her daughter from the party because it’s a little more convenient to stay at home on a Saturday night and continue watching TV.
You also never imagined sleeping in a stranger’s house did you? Look at what’s happened with Airbnb
Who is this for?
This is for small & medium sized business owners/entrepreneurs but also active Instagram users who embrace the digital world and understand the footprint social media has in marketing your business.
Four reasons why you need an Instagram account for your business.
We all know the power of Instagram right? Well let me tell that huge companies like Coca Cola, Starbucks, and Nike dominate the space. Companies with established followings seem to have no problems getting engagement and results. But how can you use Instagram for small business?
You don’t have to be an enterprise-sized company to get value from Instagram. The mobile app allows small businesses to compete with the “big guys.” If you’re not using Instagram for small business yet, you’re missing out on a potential gold mine of opportunities
Reason number 1
"Instagram’s high levels of engagement"
We think Instagram has an enormous growing number of users with a large variety of industries ranging from constructions and travel to food and health and fitness. We believe Instagram is the hub to your online presence. Why? Because everyone’s attention is there.
No, it doesn’t replace a website, but it can be used to drive people to your website. It’s been reported that 1 billion people use Instagram every month.
Reason number 2
"Advertising on Instagram"
One word: Advertising. If you are not utilising Instagram (or Facebook for that matter) to advertise on social media, then chances are you are missing out!
Sure, you can post great content on your page, but this will only reach your followers. If you want to reach people that do not follow you and strengthen your social media presence, you need to create advertisements. You can target specific demographics and locations, link directly to your website or landing page, and gather data.
These sponsored ads will appear in users feeds outside of your follower base. You can run regular targeted ads, or you can re-target customers.
Re-targeting ads are beneficial because they help capture customers who may have been shopping on your site and abandoned their cart. And since Facebook and Instagram work together, you can retarget people on both platforms!
Reason number 3
"You can reach a new audience using hashtags"
Hashtags are essential on Instagram because they can help you connect with new contacts which later may become clients, expand your reach, spark conversations, and even track user-generated content for your brand. Any hashtag you can think of can be followed. This helps tremendously with hashtag research, as it’s an instant way to figure out how your posts can fit in with existing posts to target specific audiences.
Reason number 4
"Effectively engage with customers"
Instagram is one of the best ways to make a connection with your audience, because not only are you showing them eye-catching quality visuals, but you’re also creating a back and forth kind of environment that really can’t flourish on any other social media platform.
Here are 10 practical Instagram tips.
1. Write an engaging bio
2. Build a website and use the URL in the BIO
3. Take advantage of the business tools
4. Keep your IG (Intagram) profile professional picture
5. Have goals in mind specifically for Instagram
6. Get more artistic
7. Stay consistent
8. Put Emphasis on your caption
9. Revisit what posts are successful
10. Engage with the community
You might be asking "is social media platform is secure". The truth of it all is that it isn’t, hackers have shifted their focus heavily on social media platforms as there is growing amounts of “attention” captured on these platform which in fact results in more and more users.
You came here to know the good things about IG but let me be straight up with you and say that it can be the gateway to getting your personal data compromised.
Let’s show you how to implement the best security practices while making the most of Instagram and keeping your personal data safe, but first let me show you something below.
The 2 most common hacking methods
If you’re not too concerned about the methods then I encourage you to skip this section and jump to “How to secure your Instagram account”
A brute force attack is an attempt to crack a password or username. Cracking a password this way to find a hidden web page, or find the key used to encrypt a message, using a trial and error approach and hoping, eventually, to guess correctly. This is an old attack method, but it's still effective and popular with hackers.
Depending on the length and complexity of the password, cracking it can take anywhere from a few seconds to many years. In fact, some hackers target the same systems every day for months and sometimes even years.
Tools Aid Brute Force Attempts
Guessing a password for a particular user or site can take a long time, so hackers developed tools to do the job faster. Yes there are software tools that hackers use to guess your password.
Dictionaries are the most basic tool. Some hackers run through unabridged dictionaries and augment words with special characters and numerals or use special dictionaries of words, but this type of sequential attack is cumbersome.In a standard attack, a hacker chooses a target and runs possible passwords against that username.
Enter your text here...
Phishing is the second most popular way to hack Instagram accounts, because, according to the hackers themselves, it’s the easiest!
Instagram Phishers simply create a fake login page that looks just like the one on the “real” Instagram. Hackers create this spoofed login page through fake apps promising to help manage Instagram users’ accounts and use free hosting and paid accounts to place it on public servers.Some will even email out the link from the fake Instagram login page and ask for your updated information. When you log on with your username and password, BAM they have your credentials!
How to secure your Instagram account?
- Use longs passwords ( at least 10 character long )
- Ensure only authorised people to have access to the account
- Use a password manager app like Keepass or Lastpass
- Change them monthly
- Don’t save passwords on web browsers (Chrome or Internet explorer)
- This ensures a second level of verification when accessing your account.
- Two factor authentication can be used with an app like Google authentication or DUO.
- Every time you log into your account you will be required to copy and paste a line of digits into the Instagram app.
- Chances are your business email address is on your Instagram page so ensure you have a very good Anti-spam email provider.
- Be wary in opening up unsolicited emails
- Hackers will obtain your email address from your IG profile and send you links to take you to a site ( This is what a good anti-spam provider will block )
- Phone security is optimal. No point having a strong password if your phone is not safely secured with a password, fingerprint scan or pass code.
- Keep phone updated to keep up with the latest security patches
- Applications that help grow a following or help upload images onto your Instagram account.
- There are some application which are trustworthy still so do your research based on feedback.
- Don’t allow access to your location
- Remove location feature from your phone to prevent location stamps of where you are.
- It is important to understand that if you go to the same place every day they will capture this and have extra way to present an attack.
- Keep your profile information private
- This goes as common sense however needs to be re-iterated. The best way to think of it is “Am I ok with this information to be uploaded to google in case ?
- This is to prevent strangers tagging you in random pictures
- Be mindful of overall free Wi-Fi use in café’s. Use your mobile internet instead “hotspot” as preference.
- Avoid using so called “free WiFi. This could be hacker’s impersonating the free wireless name. Meanwhile they will intercept your data.
- Passwords of any account. (Email, other social media platform)
- Information sent over or storage on social media never gets removed from Facebook servers.
- Private information such as your Driver’s license, passport
- Your home address
We find it highly advisable to implement the practices mentioned in this document. As you are aware working with Instagram customer service is extremely challenging especially when your account has been hacked.
It’s important to remember that the security of your online platform is completely yours.
One final and important golden tip.
We recommend taking any business communication off with a potential client off Instagram immediately.
I hope this post was informative to you. If you have any questions, feel free to drop us comment below.